Monday 17 September 2007

First post from our mentor Julie Monro-Allison

DSCF3086 DSCF3089
DSCF3099 DSCF3104
DSCF3110 DSCF3139

Here's the first post from our 2007 Mentorship recipient Julie Munro-Allison, now over in Western Australia working with renowned fibre artist Kate Campbell-Pope. As you can see, she's certainly been busy.

Kate gave me a milk crate filled with dry plant material and some string she and the other artists made for the environmental arts workshop the weekend I arrived in Albany. I had a go at making string myself and also made a small sculpture in order to familarise myself more with working directly with plant materials. Then in the studio Kate showed me techniques for making the strongest string I've been walking around the granite hills, picking things up. Latticed watsonia cases and watsonia discs, mostly, and bones, but today I found a whole frog, flattened and mummified.

No comments: