Friday 1 May 2009

Introducing... John Patterson of Sniffle Co.

Say hello to one of COUNTER's newest stockists, Sniffle Co. ! Founded by Brisbane-based John Patterson, Sniffle Co. features an array of etched timber brooches. Hand-painted and extremely detailed, each Sniffle Co. brooch comes pinned to a hanky - hence the name 'Sniffle Co'. Clever and talented, just the way we like 'em.

Our personal favourite - the 'Woody' brooch.


About Sniffle Co…
I made a couple of T-shirts as Sniffle Co. after I left high school, but other things started taking up all of my time, and I never really followed through with it. Late last year I found myself with a bit more free time than I'm used to, and decided to start making some new things, so I recycled the name and got to work!

Behind every interesting name there is an equally interesting story…
It's a bit gross but I've had terrible hay fever and sinus since I was a kid, and always have the sniffles. When I was trying to think of a way to package the brooches, a friend suggested using a handkerchief because I always carry one.



My favourite creation so far…
I like the Pinboy bowling pin brooch (pictured above, second from right). I worked in a bowling alley when I was in high school and have always drawn a bowling pin character, so I was excited to making him into something real.

My dream collaboration…
I love Gama-Go and all the limited edition things they make. I've got a great idea for a set of home stereo speakers that I would love to collaborate with them on! I also really love Lab Partners a couple from San Francisco that make beautiful 50's style prints. My friend Caitlin also does some beautiful paintings, and I would love to make some brooches with her some day.

What gets me in the mood to create…
Desperation? I don't feel useful unless I'm making something. I love the challenge of making something out of nothing, and following through with ideas that come to me on a whim.




When I’m not hard at work making stuff…
I write songs and play guitar in The Grates.

Tell us a secret...
At the moment I'm working on a leather baggage tag, and 2 new brooches, one of an Ice-Cream Cone (Sniffle Cone) and one of a Hula Girl, a design I made for the upcoming Grates tour.

No comments: