Thursday 4 September 2008

Introducing... Katie Jacobs


This week Clog has the pleasure of presenting ceramicist extraordinaire Katie Jacobs who has just produced a new body of work - cute and kitsch S&P shakers. Keep an eye out later this year as Katie will be exhibiting her work in the window-next-to-enCOUNTER (we'll come up with a snappier name for it soon... maybe COUNTERact? Suggestions welcome!) In the meantime, Katie's Gouldian Finch shakers (bottom left) are part of In The Making so do come have a look as they are absolutely gorgeous in real life.

Happy reading!

I am inspired by...
Great music like that of Jens Lekman or The Brunettes, the story of Ernest Shackleton's Antarctic adventure and the wonderful artwork of Brittany Veitch.

Recently I was in Denmark...
I applied for an Ian Potter Cultural Trust grant to go to a ceramic centre in Denmark and learn some new techniques. It was 2005, and it was the 125th anniversary of Hans Christian Andersen. The Danes were overexposed to it, so there were all these signs up in Copenhagen with a picture of face with a red cross over it (like a no smoking sign). While I was in Denmark, I cast a five part mold of my sculpture of Princess Mary which cost just under $1000 to send back to Australia.

My favourite thing that I've made so far is...
...always the latest thing I made, so at the moment it is my salt and pepper shakers in the shape of Jesus and Mary with gold detail. I also like some nipple badges I have made in all different colours, they look like strawberry and cream lollies.

The first thing I ever made was...
...a terracotta dog on a tuckerbox. I must've been inspired by the song and the story, which is so poignant. My mum still has it on her bookshelf.

When in Melbourne...
I like the souvenir shops on Swanston Street (where you can pick up a kangaroo scrotum bottle opener to entertain any overseas guests) and also Sticky, the zine store under Degraves Street.

I'm also in a band but....
Sadly The Rays are on hiatus after one of our founding members moved to London... so now I am (really slowly, between artwork and paying jobs) working on my solo country project, an EP called Silhouettes and Sad Duets.

No comments: