Thursday 17 September 2009

Introducing... Nadine Treister

This week, CLOG's featured artist is jeweller Nadine Treister. Despite taking on Interior Design as her field of study, Nadine decided to embark on a career as a jeweller - and a real good one too! Featuring architectural lines and a geometrical cleanness, Nadine's jewellery label Jeu de Tree is a collection of lovely items we wish we had in our jewellery boxes.

This edition of Introducing... is also our 50th. Hooray for us!

Happy Friday everyone, we hope you are enjoying the beautiful sunshine outside.


About my decision to explore jewellery design...
There is a close translation between architectural model making and designing jewellery; they both adhere to a language of volume, proportion, line and aesthetic. Funnily enough, I started making jewellery whilst completing my Honours year. I think it was more out of procrastination than anything else.

It's all in a name...
Jeu De Tree translates roughly from French into Tree’s playtime. My mother came up with it during a family brainstorming evening. The meaning is twofold. I was nicknamed ‘Tree’ in middle school and somehow it suited and never wore off. The Jeu or playtime is essential in my eyes to my jewellery practice; it is part of my creative process, time taken to experiment

My influences…
These days I turn to a conglomeration of collected blogs for inspiration; sometimes it becomes sensory overload but without a doubt there are designs and creative outputs to dilate my pupils.


About my studio...
Having a studio space in the Nicholas building (with fellow COUNTER stockists Emma Grace and Jasmina Krupic) is an absolute treat; fantastic location, historic building housing fellow creative thinkers and makers. There are six female artisans sharing our large space but we all have various daily schedules which means that it’s a rare occurrence that we are all in the studio at the same time. We most definitely share ideas, give feedback and advice and encourage one another in our individual practices; this is inspiration in itself.

Apart from jewellery, another skill that I'd love to learn...
My list is definitely too long.

A day in my life…
My days fluctuate depending on deadlines and stock orders. Of late, however, I seem to be juggling a career as an interior designer, jeweller and university teacher; the diversity of skills and environments makes for an interesting life.

One thing I can’t live without…

A sense of humour and the basket attached to my bike (recently stolen).






No comments: