Friday 15 September 2006

Mentorship so far

Here's a brief report from our current 'mentee' Ellie Mucke

In the four short weeks I have been working with the support of a mentor, I feel I have grown as a practitioner in my field of craft and design already. The mentorship began with Anthea van Kopplen (my mentor) and I spending three days in Sydney to catch the end of the Sydney Biennale and the Design Festival. This was a great way to inspire my senses, see contemporary artists work relevant to my practice and strengthen the mentor/artist relationship. In three days we covered a lot of ground. I was most inspired by Droog A Human Touch, Antony Gormley’s Asian Field and group exhibition Re-frame at Ivan Dougherty Gallery COFA.

After Sydney I got straight into the refining of ideas and construction for the Flinders Quarter Award.  This was the beginning of an intense period of focused learning and exploration around the theme Things Around the Home. In this work I looked at using common household materials to create unique textiles and a silhouette that questioned the relationship between craft and design. The transformation of simple household materials onto the body is a concept I am excited by and plan to continue exploring into the next stages of the project.

No comments: