Thursday 31 July 2008

Introducing... Sneak Design

In our second post on Craft Victoria Makers, Clog is proud to present an insight into the life and work of yet another fabulous individual - Anika Cook of Sneak Design. After finishing her Creative Arts degree in 2006, Anika decided to launch her very own and very fine label, Sneak Design. Ever evolving to include new and innovative designs, Sneak Design encompasses a wide range of products, from t-shirts to shadow cuttings to pimped out bobby pins!

I am inspired by...
The city... it's like a living creature that moves and swells to its own rhythms. It's essential research for me. I also get very excited by old paper and 1920s typography, red things, other people's shoes and pretty free postcards.

I make...
Screenprinted tees, hairpins, badges, printed canvases and other assorted artworks. I've been doing a fair bit of paper-cutting recently, and am also pondering making some jewellery. I can't seem to stop adding new products...

My proudest achievement so far is...
You know, I think it's actually that I haven't had to break my pledge of 2002 to never work full-time in an office again.

When I'm not toiling away at my studio, you can find me at..
The domed reading room at the State Library - it's so beautiful and peaceful and great for hiding away. The coffee at Mr Tulk is also tops. For the best cocktails ever, Caz Reitops Dirty Secrets on Smith Street. It's so cosy and friendly and a lovely place on cold nights. Brunswick Bound for the best selection of books in one place, ever. Exentrix on Bridge Road - possibly the only decent clothing store on Bridge Road, with lots of one-off designs and actually honest sales staff. New York Tomato in Richmond, because it's around the corner from me and they know how to make my coffee and my bagel just how I like it.

The one thing I can't live without is...
My black-and-white spats-ish shoes. Since I bought them all my other shoes have been severely neglected.

No one knows this but
...
I'm addicted to Kraft Dinosaur Shapes instant Macaroni and Cheese. It's glorious.



No comments: