Wednesday 10 September 2008

Introducing... Mainichi

This week CLOG meets Dearne Herrenberg of Mainichi, one of the newest labels to join the COUNTER flock. Inverting the traditional concept of 'precious' jewellery, some of Dearne's favourite materials include leather, bamboo, vintage fabrics, plastic, hemp and felt. For Mainichi, "everyday materials become pieces of wearable art". You bet we like the sound of that!


The story of Mainichi begins...
Before I became a full time Mum and part time creative, I operated my own interior design practice, focusing mainly on residential and retail fitouts. Because of the long lead time from conception to creation that is inevitable when working in construction of buildings it can be quite a long time before you see your “fresh” ideas come to fruition. Being able to design, create and enjoy the fruits of my labour in a relatively short space of time was the inspiration to begin creating pieces of jewellery.

I am inspired by....
The reward and satisfaction of creation inspires me to create more. And the inspiration to begin is in the world that surrounds us, both tangible and virtual. Also my materials very much inform my work, so an outing to some op shops or bead suppliers, or a new shipment of materials arriving can be enough to kick start me.

My favourite thing I've made so far is...
A special piece I made a few years back for the Flinders Quarter Award (pictured below). It was a giant version of the Shinzo necklace – it now hangs on my living room wall and is more a piece of sculpture rather than a piece of jewellery. There are many hours of loving work that went into it, including boiling up pots of dye for the fabric and felt, and I’m reminded of this each time I look at it. I’m also very proud because it earned a 'special mention' in the award!

A day in the life of Dearne Herrenberg would entail...
...looking after my darling boy Andre who is currently finding his feet and embarking on toddlerhood, so the world is a very exciting place! And while he sleeps, grabbing a few moments to make some work for my retailers and any special orders I have, and juggling that with a little bit of Interior Design work.

When I was younger...
I always wanted to work in some field of design or do something creative. Fashion designer was the first thing that comes to mind.

Ten years ago...
I was living in Brisbane and had just started studying Industrial Design at Queensland University of Technology, and was plotting how to change my major to Interior Design! And meeting some wonderful people and enjoying the life of a (mature age) student.

...and in ten years' time
I’ll probably be making batches of playdough and figuring out how to use it in jewellery making! Seriously though, still living in Melbourne (or the vicinity of), using lots more eco friendly and recycled materials, and exploring the sculptural and experimental side of Mainichi some more. Hopefully having more time to do all that and a bit more sleep at night too!


Dearne's Shinzo piece that was made for the Flinders Quarter Award.

No comments: